Wednesday 2 May 2012

Plugging Away

When I first started my book I thought that I wanted it to be about 150000 words long. That's about 50000 words longer than what is recommended for first time writers.  I hit the 50000 word mark last week and felt a lot of satisfaction from doing so.  After spending several hours this week taking a hard look at my plot and outline I decided I could do better and re-wrote a lot of it as well as the scene descriptions.  I am much happier with the result now and think I can get it closer to 100000 words which is a bonus. 

It sure seems a long time ago that I started writing this even though it was only in January.  I have had a zillion self-doubts as I am sure every writer has when they first start out.  Here is a list of some of the things I worry about, for the heck of it:
  1. My story will have poor grammar and seem too simple.
  2. The prose is too simple.
  3. It will be uninteresting to readers.
  4. My characters are too flat and readers won't care about them.
  5. My concept is just a re-telling of a story common to the genre (fantasy)
  6. My attempt at not having over-the -top characters will disappoint readers.
  7. I often think that it lacks that certain 'oomf' to get a 'wow' from readers
Here is how I try to overcome these doubts:
  1. I walk about an hour a day with my kindle talking to me through my earphones.  Nearly always it is an e-book about writing or publishing or how I wrote my first book, type stuff.  I have never been much of one for motivational talks and the like but man does this keep me fired up.
  2. The books/websites etc that I see almost daily now, repeatedly tell me its OK to have those doubts and that everyone else does as well.
  3. I tell myself that knowing my weaknesses is the hardest part of solving them.  The rest is just hard work, which I am not afraid of.
  4. I have researched enough to know that I will be re-writing, re-writing, re-writing lots and lots, and I have resigned myself to..., nay, I am looking forward to being at that point.
  5. I have decided that I will get a content editor and copy editor come hell or high water. 
  6. I have decided to self publish and know I will have to put a great team in place to do so. 
All of these things combined will help me polish the book to a standard that I will be happy with.

Anyway I'd appreciate any input from other writers out there.  I am an information sponge at this point.
Have a great day
John

No comments:

Post a Comment