Friday 27 April 2012

NEED WRITING HELP?

     I am new at this novel-writing thing, and I can't believe I have waited this long to start.  (I'm 44)  The rewards I get from writing every day are fantastic.  Aside from my eventual dream of making a living by selling my books, which is a long shot from what I have read and heard, I get a lot from writing.  It changes your identity slightly for one thing, and opens avenues of thought that I didn't really know were there. 
     If you are new to writing and are looking for guidance, don't come to me. Ha. Seriously I am in the same boat, so I wouldn't be much help. I have, however, read lots and lots of books, blogs, websites and the like over the last four months and have found  some very encouraging and informative items that I will post on this blog as time allows.
     By far, the best resource I have found to date is Holly Lisle's website. http://hollylisle.com/ She has been a published writer since 1985 with over 30 books.  She offers tons of free advice and also has free and paid writing courses.  I am currently taking the How to Think Sideways course, which I find to be excellent. 
     I have to say, I am an independant, pig-headed guy and when I first started writing I had the illusion that I didn't want any help.  I just didn't think it was necessary.  As I progressed I ended up reading a few books about writing, more out of curiousity than anything and found out that I really didn't know everything. (I know what your thinking and trust me, I was surprised too.)  Once I started delving I found an amazing quantity of information on how to write a novel.  Topics covered everything from motivation, scheduling, outlining, character development and so on.  I soon found that my writing up to that point was pretty flat and although I had a good idea, it needed more.  Holly's website and many other sources opened my thinking enough to accept that I had to seek knowledge and dig a lot deeper to write well.  I am no where near there yet, but I keep plugging away, and I'm getting better.

If you are a writer or are thinking about writing or you have been putting off writing that book for years now, you should check out Holly's website.  I guarantee she will inspire and show you that you can indeed write.  Put away self-doubt and act.  You'll never know until you start.
Good Luck



No comments:

Post a Comment