Monday 28 January 2013

Writing to an end

Well I have done some major revisions for my book over the last few days.  It was tough because I had to cut large chunks that I felt were not really heading in the right direction.  Sometimes you have to force yourself to take a good hard look at where you want to go, (with your book, or anything for that matter) and rethink what you have done, or are planning to do.  I think it was the right decision.  I ended up cutting three large chapters and setting them aside for book two, if I go that route.  They are safely stored for future use.  I spent several hours this morning working out the details of how I want this thing to end.  It became a lot easier without having to tie in the three chapters that I cut.  The book I am writing is a fantasy novel and I should have heeded something I once read that stated that one shouldn't try to write an Epic Fantasy on your first try.   I now have chapter outlines for the last six chapters and have worked out a few of the details that have been nagging at me for the longest time.  It feels great to have a roadmap again. 
At about two thirds of the way in I found myself kind of becoming wishy washy of where I wanted it to go.  I think the biggest lesson I have learned from this for the next book, is keep my eye on the prize, meaning keep the story on track to have it arrive where I want it to.  My guess is that I might have the first draft done by the end of February as long as time allows. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad to find another epic writer... Like you I heard that advice about not starting with epic - but you have to write what you love. It's a steep learning curve keeping the plot together - but it sounds like you've got a good handle on it!

    ReplyDelete